04/03/2009

Funny Bits in Star Ocean 2 (23)

This sentence doesn't make any sense to me, but I never noticed it when I played the game years ago; replaying it now makes me realize how many mistakes one can find scattered around. To be fair, though, Star Ocean 2 sports a really extensive amount of text, because of the storyline, numerous characters with alternative dialogues, Private Actions and side-quests: it's only natural that translators may have had a rough time with it. But that's the main reason I'm making these posts, so let's move on!

After Clik's unfortunate series of events, the group (that is, me) decides to go back and revisit previous towns; this is both because of their sense of duty in informing the king of Cross regarding the disaster and in seeing the refugees being welcomed in Salva, and because new Private Actions have opened up! As I might have noted before, Private Actions are a very good way of adding details on the story and characters without requiring the more straightforward players to experience them, while still providing nice, "tangible" bonuses now and then.

Since I've got some time to spare, I'll tell you that my favorite PAs all take place on the second planet: two of them happen in Fun City (and they're the funniest ones in my opinion), but you need to play with Rena for one of them, and the third one actually spans across multiple places, gives a lot of interesting (if a bit cliché, I think) information about your enemies, and makes one of the two characters you can recruit on the second planet a bit less of an afterthought. If you want to know more about the last one, I suggest you play the game (or the PSP remake) if you can, because it's not funny and thus I can't cover it within Funny Bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment